If your baby is anything like mine, they DESPISE tummy time. 5 month baby here still barely holding herself up because she refuses to (I’m sure she can though… she just hates it). I’m constantly researching and trying different ways to get Jannah to like tummy time. Here are the 5 ways that I’m finding to be successful:
- Lie baby on your chest. This one doesn’t last long for us, but she will lift her head a few times to look at me and smile. Try talking to your little one and encourage them when they lift their head to look at you.
- Use a receiving blanket. I roll up a receiving blanket, secure it with hair ties, and put it under Jannah’s chest. She keeps her head held up a lot more this way. I also put some toys in front of her to keep her occupied.
- Babywear. Babywearing counts as tummy time! So while you clean, go grocery shopping, do laundry, etc, wear your little one!
- Airplane. For this one, lie on your back and lift your legs in the air, keeping your shins parallel to the ground. Lie baby on your shins. Talk with play, gently swing or bounce baby, make airplane sounds… whatever works!
- Airplane #2. For this one, hold baby in the football position. Then move around the room making sounds, talking, or whatever you want!
I truly hope at least one of these helps you and baby to have more enjoyable tummy time!